Sunday, February 15, 2009

Be a Chef Day!

Today, as a follow up on yesterday's NUS exchange student's outing, the guys decided to have a dinner pot-luck at one of their hostel. Yes, pot-luck as in everybody has to bring EDIBLE food to the table to share...

Imagine my chagrin as I thought of my ham, lettuce, bread and cheese existence in my fridge. No wonder my first question when they proposed the idea was: Can I bring sandwiches?

Being the nice people they were, of course they said ok, but my sis would kill me for being so ... (fill in you own adjective).

So, on my way home yesterday, we stopped by the nearest Migros and bought some stuff. Finally, I bought meat that wasn't ham, fresh produce that doesn't come pre-packed and stuff that I might not buy if I were eating/cooking for myself.

The final tally came up to CHF 13.70, which I thought was quite reasonable since I bought MEAT (or rather 6 chicken wings..) and other stuff. Oh, and for your info, a clove of garlic is CHF 1.20 per piece. Even potatoes were cheaper... But its only the garlic, the meat, the eggs, and some other stuff that were crazily priced. Thinking about it, ham was pretty expensive too, the cheapest being CHF 3.50 for about 6 slices. Hmm... perhaps I should just eat rice with milk...

Anyway, after some thoughts about how to cook my dish, (honey baked wings were out, no honey, and baked chicken without honey just ain't right), I settled on stew.
Ah, the wonders of stew are just right beside those of roasts... Just cut everything up, place them in a pot with some water and just let it simmer away. Easy and delish.

I cooked enough to probably last me 4 meals comfortably, but with 6 people eating, I might have to fight to save some for later. Ah well, at least if they finish it, I'll know that its nice and I'll be happy. If not, then all the better! 4 meals without worries.

Here are the pics of it. Doesn't look much like a disaster, eh?

I must applaud my foresight when I bought these tupperwares :-)
I thought it was an overkill to buy 4 of them in one shot (it was packed in fours) when I only need one as a bowl and/or the occasional storage box. But since they were on sale, I thought I mind as well buy them. Look, they paid off!!

Now lets just hope that it tastes better than it looks in the pictures.

9 comments:

  1. gosh pi! it looked quite good! So exciting!!!~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yr bro here. Wow, you wanna poison more people eh?

    HAHA :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jiehui brother. her name is PIPI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey!! no one else needs to know that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must see if got interesting things to say... Nothing interesting then I've got nothing to say too, so reality is my muse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww mei mei, you know I always love your food . Very healthy!

    So what did the rest say? Did they like it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm... there wasn't much comment on it. Luckily (or maybe not) there were leftovers for me to make another meal. Only one guy said it was nice. I think it was too bland beside the too spicy vegetables and the impressive roast chicken with potatoes and bacon... haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. The angmohs love their food with no nuances. Just blast it in their face.

    ReplyDelete